The Brady District is one of the oldest sections of Tulsa. It is rich with cultural icons such as the Cain’s Ballroom and the Ole Lady on Brady. The buildings in the area that are still standing are primarily red brick and have been utilized as warehouses. The Brady District name is derived from Wyatt Tate Brady who arrived in Tulsa in 1890 as a shoe salesman and quickly opened one of the town’s first mercantile stores. Brady was one of the original incorporators of Tulsa and is considered a pioneer, promoter and developer of the area having built Cain’s Ballroom and the first hotel with indoor baths, the Brady Hotel. He was also the first member of the Democratic National Committee after Oklahoma became the forty-sixth state in 1907.
Over the past twenty years, the area has morphed into an eclectic collection of bars, restaurants and arts establishments. There has been some revitalization with a few buildings renovated into new office space while still remaining true to their historic past.
A new baseball park—ONEOK Field is located on the East edge of the District in the Greenwood District. The Blue Dome District, which has steadily developed as a new area for nightlife with bars and dance clubs is on the South edge of the Brady and Greenwood Districts. Williams Plaza and Tulsa City Hall are directly South of the District along with the Performing Arts Center and the Jazz Hall of Fame/Union Depot building. The BOK Arena is a few blocks Southwest of the Brady District on Denver.